Friday, March 7, 2008

Obesity

We all know that the incidence of obesity is increasing dramatically in children and adults, but how do we stop it? The answer is simple- Focus on Five and Exercise. Focus on eating five or more servings of fruits and vegetable a day and exercising daily. Make up you mind and focus on health.

We, as a nation, are accustomed to eating fast and frequent, and our waistlines, knees and hips are screaming in agony because of it. Fresh fruits and vegetables are either nonexistent in our meals or poured from a can. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are usually heavy on simple carbohydrates and fats. The end result: Metabolic Syndrome.

This syndrome affects 58 million people in this country. The hallmarks of this syndrome are: increased cholesterol(LDL) and triglycerides, elevated blood pressure, high C-reactive protein levels (proinflammatory state), and elevated fibrinogen levels (excess clotting). Abnormal glucose levels round out this disorder. The end result of metablic syndrome is diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, peripheral vascular disease, and stroke. Recent research also demonstrates that Alzheimers is probably related to this syndrome as well. All of us want to live long and prosper, but how many of us will be healthy in our old age. How are you living?

As a mom, I realize that it is my responsibility to see that my family legacy is one of health and wellness-not metabolic syndrome. I truly believe that “the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world”. As such, I have taken a pledge:
1. I choose to expose myself and my children to a variety of food choices which incorporate fresh fruits and vegetables.
2. I choose to cook and to teach my children to cook for themselves as well.
3. I choose to incorporate physical activity into my daily life.
4. I choose to “Focus on Five and Exercise”

Join me and take the pledge. Rock and Rule!

Vicki Reese, M.D.
www.5adaycsa.com

5 A Day CSA was started to provide locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables to individuals and families. Studies have shown that those who eat more fruits and vegetables have lower rates of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and hypertension.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog have helpful content and information. Is there any formula to control diet and keep muscle tone with fitness? For more log on
Personal Trainer- www.just4ufit.com